REGISTRATION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED online registration is available at the bottom of this page.
NCBA’s beekeeper class is focused on the Langstroth hive [the classic, typically white, boxes stacked on top of one another that is used for pollination and honey production]. There are other types of hive configurations. IF you are interested in Top Bar hives [focus on pollination, not honey], plan to attend our January monthly meeting where this hive configuration will be discussed in more detail, however you will need the fundamentals taught in our class regardless of the hive configuration you choose to use.
Beekeeper Classes REGISTRATION:
- Class Dates:Class will MEET on SATURDAYs January 7, 14 & 21 from 8:30 AM to ~1:30 PM
- Time: Each class will start at 8:30 AM and end around 1:00 PM [sometimes longer], please arrive by 8:00 AM on January 7th to complete the sign-in process.
- Location: Kerst’s Farm, 17765 Hwy 392, Greeley, CO 80631 [I-25, Exit 262, ~14 miles EAST on Hwy 392, from I-25 OR US Hwy 85, north of Greeley, then WEST on Hwy 392 less than 2 miles, just east of WCR 35, on the NORTH side & set back from the highway. Look for the Yellow & Black sign ‘Beekeepers Meeting’ with an arrow.
- Cost: Includes a 1 year NCBA membership. The class is for adults, 18 years or older, minors are welcome, use the form below; $130 per person. Payment by check or PayPal, NO CASH
Registration will begin on November 5th and end on December 30th at 5 PM. The class will be filled based on the DATE of your check or PayPal transaction. Space is limited. Don’t delay. Class is limited to 60 students, first to register, by date of payment, will be accepted; class fills quickly.
- You can register on our website [http://nocobees.org] or by snail mail
- Website registration with payment by CREDIT CARD via PayPal can be found under CALENDAR on the home page, about 5 selections down the list under ‘Beekeeping Classes’. Send your registration form/waiver by snail mail.
- Mail in registration forms with payment by CHECK or Money Order – Do NOT send cash, should be sent to NCBA Treasurer, Nancy Jones 8225 Turman Court Fort
Collins, CO 80525 <download form>
- IN ALL CASES, registration is NOT COMPLETE if a REGISTRATION FORM with a SIGNED LIABILITY WAIVER [all on one page, available on the website] is not matched to your payment. Please, please PRINT CLEARLY.
The Beginning Beekeepers Class will include:
- The fundamentals of bee biology [wings & eyes etc.] and colony dynamics [what goes on inside the hive bodies].
- How to obtain and configure basic beekeeping equipment, how to setup a beehive and install a package of bees. NCBA will offer you the opportunity to buy a ‘package’ [3 pounds, about 10,000 bees, and a mated queen] from the association.
- The options for personal protective equipment [hat, veil, gloves, etc.]
- How to manage your new colony throughout the first year with descriptions of tasks to be completed each month
- Fundamentals of pest, predator and disease management
- Your class fee includes a year’s membership in NCBA. We will provide a summary of who we are, what we do and how you can help. Our monthly membership meetings are the third Thursday of the month from 6:30-8:30 PM at locations around the tri-cities area [Loveland, Fort Collins, Greeley].
- The recommended text for the class and your first year is ‘Beekeeping for Dummy’s’.
- We will also offer you a mentoring program where you meet with an experienced beekeeper throughout the year and on line discussion groups where you can ask questions, share experiences and stay in touch.
- There are thousands of informational articles, books and videos related to bees and beekeeping, we will recommend a few of our favorites.
- Ask questions, do NOT be bashful, somebody else probably has the same question, but they are afraid to ask. There is a lot to learn and beekeepers love to talk about their experiences.
NCBA is excited that you are interested in beekeeping and we hope you become as committed to helping the honey bee as we are.
For more information email email@example.com
[closed CONTACT_FORM_TO_EMAIL id=”10″]