Author Topic: When to feed?  (Read 589 times)

Randy Siddens

• View Profile
When to feed?
« on: March 03, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »
I am newbee, last year was first successful hive. Opened up the hive today (2 deeps on the hive) thinking it's time to feed but noticed all of the frames in the top deep still have at least 1/4 of the cells with honey in them, a couple on the edges have about 1/2 of their honey still in place. I did not take off the top box to get a closer look at the bottom box. Should I go ahead and feed or let them deplete their own, stored food before feeding? I have a frame feeder so if I should feed now I will be removing a frame that still has honey on it, what should I do with that frame? Set it next to the hive and let them clean it off? Hive appears to be very healthy, lots of bees and they are very active.

Thanks.
Randy Siddens

Busy Bee Farm

• View Profile
Re: When to feed?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 03:25:24 PM »
Hi Randy - first thing I notice is you say "first" and "the hive".  Since only having one hive is a recipe for disaster, I would suggest you plan on starting another hive this spring.  Depending on where you live, feeding this time a year is a royal pain due to freeze/thaw of the syrup and especially if you hives are not nearby.  If you have empty frames in either of the hive bodies plan on feeding no matter how much of a bother it is.  You might consider an immersion heater to keep the syrup from freezing and turning to rock candy.

Steven Lechner
Busy Bee Farm
Larkspur, CO

tomssustainableliving

• View Profile
Re: When to feed?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:18:16 PM »
I would leave them alone and put out a feeder on your deck or something and they will eat if they want to, when it's warm and there out flying around